Tuesday 15 February 2011

New Hobbies






"Contemporary roller derby is an American-invented contact sport with roots in sports entertainment. The game is based on formation roller skating around an oval track by two teams. Points are scored as the designated scoring player (the "jammer") of each team laps members of the opposing team, including its "blockers,"[1] hence offense and defense typically occur simultaneously.[2][3]"

Ok here is the proper post! As you may have noticed, a few weeks ago I saw the film Whip it, which I thoroughly enjoyed and it made me look back in fondness, of when I was little and used to have my roller skates (purple and yellow), and what fun I used to have on them, (blocking out the memory of thinking that taking Buster out on his lead whilst wearing said skates, was a good idea! Buster was super fast back then, and it was a painful meetup with a lampost that stopped me ending up in the docks). Plus the night I watched it, I was wearing my Panda Hood, which everyone admired, thus me deciding if I was a Derby girl, my Derby name would be "The Pert Panda". Anyway I bought the dvd myself, and showed it to Dave, who really enjoyed it, but also he was like "Beck, I could totally see you doing this". Then I found out that my town, yes little old Barrow has a Roller Derby team! They are called the Furness Fire Crackers and they started in October last year. Dave went rock climbing at the leisure centre on friday,and from his viewpoint he saw the team practising, at the moment they are learning the basics of skating. I was very interested, but due to lack of gear, and the fact that second hand was still exspensive, I didn't think it was going to be a possibility. Then Valentines came and along with my Boofle Mug! Yay! Dave had ordered me skates, a helemt and Panda laces!! Now i'm just sat here waiting for them to arrive. My plan is to take time practising, and using it as a form of excercise (weightloss thing part of work, another story). So The Pert Panda will be hitting the streets soon, hopefully not literally!
Anyway sticking to my theme, I have found some cute skate related items -
First this lovely collage "Roller Skate girl and bird" by Valerie, she is a freelance designer and runs her own company and blog called Cabin & Cub.
Next, plan on having a party, how about this cute invite by Telma Takara. I love the robot!
Then I found this awesome Etsy shop called Sweetheart sinner, which has this Cute "Hell on wheels" design! I couldn't resist and ended up ordering the necklave version and a Derby girl broach! Very good prices too!
Then last but not least something that would be perfect for my persona! This cute Panda cupcake necklace! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment